Safety in the home

Did you know many substances commonly found in and around your home can be potentially dangerous to your animal companions? These are some items to watch for as you poison-proof your pet’s home.

Medication precautions

Keep all prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs out of reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets.

Remind guests to store their medications safely as well.

Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins and diet pills are common examples of human medications that could be potentially lethal to your pet, even in small doses.

One regular-strength ibuprofen tablet (200 mg) can cause stomach ulcers in a 10-pound dog.

Foods to avoid when feeding pets

-Alcoholic beverages
-Chocolate (all forms)
-Coffee (all forms)
-Fatty foods
-Macadamia nuts
-Onions and onion powder
-Raisins and grapes
-Yeast dough


While not a complete list, the following plants and their relatives can cause everything from mild gastric distress to death. For a complete list of dangerous plants, visit

-Aloe Vera
-Members of the lily family
-Asparagus fern
-Corn plant
-Dumb cane
-Many ivies

If you suspect ingestion and notice any abnormal breathing or heart rate, weakness, bloody diarrhea, oral ulcers, severe vomiting, hypersalivation or other serious physical changes, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (1.888.426.4435) immediately.